Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Vegan banana-walnut bread

Baked this vegan banana walnut bread for Valentine's day. Surprisingly enough, it turned out really delicious.

Thanks to MM for the recipe. It is from a vegan cook book but I've modified most of the ingredients to my liking.

Items:
Dry ingredients:
2 c whole wheat pastry flour
1 c walnuts, chopped (the original recipe had ½ c)
3 tsp baking powder (the original recipe had 4 tsp)
½ tsp cinnamon powder
½ tsp ground nutmeg (the original recipe had ¼ tsp)
¼ tsp salt, or to taste

Wet ingredients:
2 c bananas, mashed (the original recipe suggested 1 c)
½ c apple sauce, sugar free
½ c Dates, chopped pieces
¼ c maple syrup
¼ c olive oil (the original recipe suggested safflower oil)
½ tsp vanilla extract

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. I actually set it to 360.


Dry ingredients

Place dry ingredients in large mixing bowl and mix well.

Combine wet ingredients in another bowl & then add dry ingredients and mix well.

I took a 6x10 pan as I didn't have a 5x9 inch loaf pan like the recipe suggested. They suggested to well oil the pan but I lightly oiled it.


Baked banana bread

Bake for 1 hour, or until toothpick comes out dry. I baked it for 45 minutes.

I eat it warm with my favorite flavor of ice-cream for dessert or have it with cold milk for breakfast. :)


Banana bread slice

No comments:

Post a Comment