Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Feta Cheese Tartlets

Sunday afternoons are fun and boring both. Boring because they start out so and fun because that's what they turn into as soon as I decide about what exciting thing to make. So this past Sunday, it was feta cheese tartlets. I got the recipe from a vegetarian cookbook.

The cooking time is really fast and you can get these tartlets ready in 15 minutes flat if you have everything.

Items:
8 slices of bread of your choice (I took 9 as it was for 3 people)
½ cup melted butter
4½ oz feta cheese, small cubes (I took ~ 3-4 tbsp crumbled)
4 cherry tomatoes, cut into wedges (I took 1 small sized tomato & diced it)
8 pitted black or green olives, halved
8 quail's eggs, hard-boiled
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp wine vinegar (I used red wine vinegar)
1 tsp whole grain mustard (I didn't have it)
1 pinch superfine sugar
3 pinches of salt
pepper
parsley sprigs, to garnish (fresh)


Method:

Remove the bread crusts and trim into squares and roll flat with a rolling pin.

Brush the bread slices with melted butter and arrange into a muffin pan. First batch, I buttered only one side of the bread but on the second one, I applied butter on both sides of bread.


Bread baskets with foil


Press a piece of crumpled foil into each bread case to secure in place. I did this with my first batch and that left the bread soft under the foil so in the second batch I didn't put any foil.

Bake these bread slices in preheated oven at 375 F for 15 minutes. 10 mins weren't enough to toast the bread slices.


Baked bread baskets


While the bread is in oven, mix together tomatoes and olives. If you're putting in eggs, shell them and quarter them.

Mix together olive oil, vinegar, mustard (optional), sugar, salt and pepper.

Here I mixed the cheese-tomato-olive mix with dressing and kept it ready for use.


Tomato, olive, cheese mixture


Remove the bread baskets from oven and remove the foil, if you used any. Let them cool for a couple of mins.

Just before serving, fill the bread baskets with cheese-tomato-olive mixture, arrange the egg pieces on top and spoon the dressing. Garnish with fresh parsley.


Feta Cheese Tartlets


Next time, I am thinking to cut the bread slices in half as these ones were rectangular and little larger than the muffin case.

Enjoy this super quick item as appetizer or afternoon snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment