Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Pine Nuts

Over the thanksgiving holiday, I got to try out home-made Brussels sprouts made by one of the American relatives. It was the first time I tried that particular recipe, which had cream base and tasted pretty darn good. I knew of the main ingredients from when I first tried it so after having loved that one, I googled for the online recipes to find something similar. I found not one, but two recipes that were almost similar and I think the dish I tried had similar recipe. After reviewing both the recipes I found and collecting all the ingredients at hand, I made some changes to the recipe and am thrilled that my version turned out pretty darn good also. Here's what I used:


Ingredients:

1 lb. brussels sprouts, diced into halves
1 small red onion, diced
1 big clove of garlic, diced
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup almond milk
3 tbsp butter
1/4 tsp marjoram
1/4 tsp thyme
salt to taste

Method:

Heat a heavy bottomed pan, add 1 tbsp butter and pine nuts to toast them on medium heat for 3 minutes stirring constantly. Once done, set aside.

Keep the pan on the same heat level, add 1 tbsp butter and diced onions. Saute the onions for 3 minutes until translucent/golden brown. Add garlic and saute for another half a minute. Add remaining 1 tbsp butter and brussels sprouts, stir for 1 minute, then add almond milk, marjoram, thyme, and salt. Cook for 8-10 minutes uncovered until all the almond milk evaporates and brussels sprouts start turning light brown.

Add pine nuts to the pan as you remove it from the stove. Serve warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment